Hearing Steve Souders at WordCamp last week got me thinking about website performance, so I went looking for more. The slides from his WordCamp talk are online, but he gave a similar talk at Google I/O which got videotaped and posted richer detail than his slides alone will ever reveal.
- Is the script URL on the same host as the main HTML?
- Should the browser indicate it’s busy, or not?
- Does script execution order mater?
And at that point things started to get too interesting to take publishable notes. I clearly need to pay more attention to this guy.
Stats he mentioned without being specific about the source:
- Google: 200ms longer download time cut revenue by 20%
- Yahoo: 100ms of latency costs … big.