Aaron Schmidt’s 10 points about IM in libraries include:
- Instant Messaging is free (minus staff time)
- Millions of our patrons use IM every day.
- For some, not being available via IM is like not having a telephone number.
- There are three major IM networks (AIM, Y!M, MSN)
- Y!M and MSN will be interoperable at some point.
- Trillian is a multi-network IM client, meebo is a web-based multi-network client. Use them.
- Having practice sessions in-house is a good way to get staff excited about IM in libraries.
- Staff can communicate in-house using IM.
- Libraries can choose to have one IM point of contact, or they can choose to divide it departmentally.
- IM is user-centered and builds relationships with library users.
edit: URL fixed as per Aaron’s comment below.