WordPress 2.5.1 added a really powerful feature to
register_taxonomy(): automatic registration of permalinks and query vars to match the taxonomy. Well, theoretically it added that feature. It wasn’t working in practice. After some searching yesterday and today, I finally found the bug and worked up a fix. I made a diff and set off to open a ticket in Trac.
On the one hand I’m glad I searched first, because it turns out that a ticket on the very same issue was opened on May 16th and it already has a fix. On the other hand, it’s kind of a kicker to have lost my chance at reporting the bug and submitting a fix by only a few days.
The fix is committed for WordPress 2.6, but I’ve done a workaround for 2.5.1 (workarounds are easier to manage than core code changes). I’d say I wish I searched Trac first, but I wouldn’t have known what to search for if I didn’t figure out how to fix the bug first. And I guess I really can’t complain about a community that quickly finds and fixes bugs.