- NYC’s sex workers expect to be extra busy while the Republicans are in town.
- There’s been talk of terror alerts. Get some backstory here, then read Ridge Issues Alert For U-BoatAttacks On Northeast Coast (and laugh).
- Google seems to think MaisonBisson and alandwilliams are similar. There, I found Pleasure Boat Captains for Truth and Cabbies against Bush. It seems the cabbies are offering free rides to Kennedy and Newark airports for GOP delegates who are willing to go to Iraq to fight.
- Alandwilliams also pointed me to pictures of Operation Sybil’s protest banner on the side of the Plaza Hotel.
- My old RNC Anarchy story is still out there. Updates, like those below, are trickling in. Of course, there’s lots of related news in the Politics & Controversy section here at MaisonBisson.
- Bikes Against Bush‘s Joshua Kinberg has been arrested. Gizomodo reports that he was demonstrating his bike for MSNBC’s Ron Reagan when he was arrested and later charged with vandalism. Though, “the sergeant on the scene agreed that the wash-away spray chalk probably wasn’t defacement of property.”
- Natalie Jeremijenko is behind some of the protest-tech outside the RNC. According to the Defense Tech story:
Months ago, it became clear that the RNC counter-demonstrations were going digital. But most of the gadgetry involved was household stuff — text messages to report cops’ whereabouts, or web pages to arrange housing. Jeremijenko and her group have gone beyond that, hand-crafting devices meant to level, just a bit, law enforcement’s technology advantage over activists.
I was impressed with Jeremijenko’s work when I first dicovered her two years ago. I’m even more delighted now.